COSTI REQUIRES A PART TIME LINC LEVEL 6-8 INSTRUCTOR FOR ITS LANGUAGE & SKILLS TRAINING SERVICES,
NEWMARKET WELCOME CENTRE
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
This is a part time non-union position scheduled to work 6 hours per week
(Monday and Wednesday 12:30 pm to 03:30 pm)
No classes during the following closure periods:
June 27, 2019 – September 4, 2019
December 19, 2019 – January 3, 2020
March 16, 2020 – March 20, 2020
· Design, implement and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program.
· Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 ESL for Levels 6-8.
· Conduct on-going needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly.
· Design assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learner’s progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
· Assist learners in organizing and updating the PBLA Language Companions (learner portfolios) as evidence of their learning progress.
· Prepare learner’s conference summary and progress reports. Conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress.
· Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software and MS Office programs where appropriate. Integrate online resources and delivery tools such as LearnIT2Teach in a blended training approach.
· Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required.
· Organize special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
· TESL certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in teaching CLB 6-8.
· In depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012, the LINC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks.
· Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and LearnIT2Teach Stage 2 training.
· Experience providing adult instruction using software associated with the LINC Program (i.e., Ellis, Clarity and Explore Canada) as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, Email and the Internet.
· Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners.
· Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills.
· Experience working in a multicultural environment.
· Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
· Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills.
Note: Successful incumbent must complete online PBLA training within 3 months when training becomes available and finish LearnIT2Teach Stage 2 training by October 28, 2019
LOCATION: Newmarket Welcome Centre
DURATION: May 27, 2019 to March 31, 2020
SALARY: $38.00 per hour
CLOSING DATE: April 24, 2019
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters,
quoting reference #44-19, to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 416.658.8537
About COSTI Immigrant Services
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.